Thursday, April 28, 2011

Venue Visit: Capitol Hill Club

In this series, I'll be detailing the venues we've visited, our impressions, and, if I have them, pictures. Of course, these are all our opinions with what we want for our wedding in mind. All of these venues are beautiful and if you can make them work for you, you will not lose out! What you've missed: Top of the Town, Josephine Butler Parks Center, City Club of Franklin Square, McLean Gardens Ballroom, and St. Francis Hall.

Next up, another possibility - The Capitol Hill Club.

I had heard of this venue a while ago from a bride that raved at what she got for the price in DC. It has 4 levels on which you can have all of your wedding events - ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. You can use any extra rooms however you like to get ready, for children, etc. But the website pics weren't very impressive and Mr. Bronx didn't appreciate the pics of - and I quote - "old men on the walls." Still, I wanted to know more so when I reached out for information and was told that they had gone through a renovation I thought it may be worth the visit to see what they had done.

I went on the visit alone because I was pretty sure that I wouldn't like it and would probably rule it out but at least made the visit to be sure.

I was wrong. I was impressed with the space. The location is phenomenal. It's in Capitol Hill literally steps from the Capitol building and National Mall. It doesn't get more DC than that! Also, the Metro stop is right across the street, perfect for out of towners. Other pluses - their event coordinator, Israel, was a pleasure and seemed eager to please. There are no hidden fees like corkage or cake cutting. And, the menu is flexible. There is NO RENTAL FEE (!) and the minimums begin at $6K on Fridays and $10K on Saturdays. Not bad, eh?

BUT, there is NO PARKING. Only street parking is available and that is a major problem. Also, the decor was better than the pictures but I still don't LOVE it. Lastly, the catering is on premise so we would not be able to bring our own liquor which is a great money saver.

We are scheduled to visit next Saturday so that Mr. Bronx can get a peek. So, if you are keeping count, we've got 2 possibilities for venues so far. Exciting times!

Well, here's the good stuff you stick around for - pictures!

This greets you as you enter

Entrance Doors (Mr B loves elephants so that's a plus)

Another shot of the entry area

1st floor lounge for the cocktail hour

Another shot of the first floor lounge

On the second floor is the reception room. I think I was so overwhelmed with actually liking the space I forgot to take pictures! It looks very similar to the 1st floor lounge but the carpet is the one in the pic above. You know you love my all-star documentary reporting.

And just for Mr. Bronx who is a stickler for nice chairs! The chairs they provide are actually NICE!

I can't wait to visit this space again with Mr. B. Either way it shakes out, we will be a step closer to a venue decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment